October 2014: “The World of the Beit Midrash”
Article submissions are due September 29. Possible article suggestions include:
- Did Avraham have a Beit Midrash? The History of Beit Midrash – the Batei Midrash of Shem va-Ever, Tannaim, Amoraim…
- Women’s Beit Midrash – A need for a stronger push?
- Bittul Torah – Is it really so bad?
- Is havruta study the only way to learn?
- Halakhic reflections on Kedushat Beit Midrash
- Can I do my homework in the Beit Midrash? Parameters of proper actions/what can be learned in the Beit Midrash
- Shiur versus Seder? What is the ideal way to learn?
- Survey of YU’s Beit Midrash – Rabbis and their teaching methodologies
- Prioritizing – the Place of Tanakh in the Beit Midrash
- “Kinat Sofrim” – The value of competition in enhancing one’s Torah
- Does academic study have a place in the Beit Midrash?
- The Importance of a Kol Torah, versus the silence of a library
- Beit Midrash – A life of solitude? What about impacting the world?
- Rosh Yeshivah vs. Community Rabbi – A new world order
- Should there be a Syllabus in the Beit Midrash?
- The importance of davening in a beit midrash/learning in a shul…
- Famous personalities who did not get their initial education in the Beit Midrash – Vilna Gaon, the Rav, the Chazon Ish
November 2014: “Interfaith at YU?”
Submissions are due by November 13. Possible article suggestions include:
- Article on how Judaism has related to other religion over the the course of history: has the form of interaction and discourse changed?
- How much do you know about Christian and Islamic Theology? Similarities and differences between the “Big 3” religions?
- Eastern religions and their contribution to contemporary Judaism
- “She-hem mishtahavim la-hevel va-rik” – Is it really that bad?
- Another Look at the Rav’s seminal piece “Confrontation”
- Interfaith at YU?! Should we go out of our way to interact with member of other faiths?
- Does studying other religions help one appreciate and understand one’s own religion?
- Stories of censorship in the Talmud and on…
- May one walk into the Cloisters? Entering other places of religious worship
- Analyzing the Bible as it’s used by various faiths. How do other faith read akedat Yitshak, Yeshayahu chapter 53 etc.
- She-lo asani goy? Is this meant to be read as a disparaging statement?
- Inviting non-Jews for Shabbat/Hagim
- Hatzolah ambulance, saving the lives of non-Jews on Shabbat
- Mishum eivah/Mi-penei darkhei shalom
- Kiruv on non-Jews? Should we be promoting the sheva mitzvot Benei Noah?
As always, please contact us at email@example.com with any questions. The editors will be glad to help you work on an article idea.